Five jumbled up sentences, related to a topic, are given below. Four of them can be put together to form a coherent paragraph. Identify the odd one out and key in the number of the sentence as your answer:
- The logic of displaying one’s inner qualities through outward appearance was based on a distinction between being a woman and being feminine.
- 'Appearance' became a signifier of conduct - to look was to be and conformity to the feminine ideal was measured by how well women could use the tools of the fashion and beauty industries.
- The makeover-centric media sets out subtly and not-so-subtly, ‘good’ and ‘bad’ ways to be a woman, layering these over inequalities of race and class.
- The denigration of working-class women and women of colour often centres on their perceived failure to embody feminine beauty.
- ‘Woman’ was considered a biological category, but femininity was a ‘process’ by which women became specific kinds of women.
Previous QuestionNext Question