cat 17 anayisis and cutoffs

CAT 2017 Analysis and Expected Cutoffs

CAT 2017 seemed to no different from CAT 2016. The only change was that of the difficulty level. Here is Bodhee Prep’s slot-wise analysis:

CAT Analysis : Morning Slot:

LRDI

Compared with the afternoon slot, the LRDI section of the morning slot was, going by the feedback of the students, on the higher side. Students who have attempted three sets, getting all questions correct, are likely to get 98+percentile in the LRDI section. The picking of the right set was very important.  The section was more about LR than DI,  as most of the sets did not have any complex calculation. An attempt of 12 with 100% accuracy would guarantee 98% tile, while an attempt of 16 with 100 % accuracy will take you in the 99th % tile.

VARC:

The verbal section of the morning slot was moderate, as there were questions that had very close options, at the same time there were questions that were very easy. The VA part comprised questions from Parajumbles, Summary, Odd Sentence and Paragraph Completion.  Out of 10 questions, 4 were a light tricky, while the rest were easy to moderate.  An attempt of 25 would be a decent attempt, and a score of 50 plus should place in the 98th percentile range.

Quant

Quant, both in the morning and the afternoon slot, was easy. The section was dominated by questions from arithmetic, with questions from TSD, Work and Time, Average, Profit & Loss and Percentage. There were a few questions from higher mathematics and algebra, with four to five coming from geometry. The section was easy, and a score of 60 plus would be enough to fetch you 98 percentile or above.

Here is our estimation of the score and the corresponding percentile for the morning slot:

Verbal ScoreVerbal PercentileLRDI ScoreLRDI PercentileQuant ScoreQuant PercentileOverall ScoreOverall Percentile
50-559832-359860-6598145-15599
45-509528-309555-6095135-14097-98
40-459025-289048-5290120-13092-94

 

CAT Analysis : Evening Slot:

LRDI:

The DILR section of the evening slot was relatively easier than the DILR section of the morning slot; a good student could have managed at least 4 sets; so an attempt of 16 with 100% accuracy could be good enough to fetch you 98 percentile. An attempt of 12 with 100 % accuracy might fetch you 95 plus. Anything lower than 10 attempts would mean that your percentile in LRDI section would hover around 80-90.

VARC:

The difficulty level of the VARC section was the same in both the slots, in fact it was very similar to the one last year’s. There were three long passages (approx. 450 words), with each having 6 questions, while the two short passages (250 words) had 3 questions each. 60% of the question from the RCs were easy or of moderate difficulty, while the other 40% questions had close options. The VA was a little tricky. There were 5-6 questions from TITA PJ, 2-3 from Odd Sentence, 1-2  from Summary and 1-2 from Paracompletion.

Quant

QA was the easiest section, and the difficulty level was not much different from that of the paper in the morning slot. Arithmetic dominated the paper, with questions coming from almost all areas. There were around five questions from geometry, while 10-12 came from algebra, numbers, and higher mathematics.

Here is our estimation of the score and the corresponding percentile for the evening slot:

Verbal ScoreVerbal PercentileLRDI ScoreLRDI PercentileQuant ScoreQuant PercentileOverall ScoreOverall Percentile
50-559840-459860-6598155-16099
45-509535-409555-6095140-14597-98
40-459028-309048-5290130-13592-94

 

For regular updates and FREE sessions, join our following GROUPS


Try CAT 2020 online course for 1 day for FREE


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *